Take advantage of these activities which can help you develop your business idea and business skills.
- Congressional App Challenge – A free national digital app competition open to high school and middle school students in SD. Any coding program can be used and there is no restrictions on type of app. They have resources to learn to code and are accepting entries from all skill levels. Learn more here at their website! https://www.congressionalappchallenge.us/ The deadline to register: September 10. App must be submitted by October 19. Register here.
- Local organizations including the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and SCORE offer small business education events throughout the year. To learn more about the current offering, visit the SBDC website
- Giant Vision Student Business Plan Competition – Compete for $5,000 to help get your business off the ground, due February 19, 2021 final event in April. (audience: open, with student track) http://www.southdakotagiantvision.com
- Career and Technical Student Organizations – many include entrepreneurship topics as part of their state competitions typically held in March/April. Such organizations include DECA, FCCLA, FBLA, FFA, and Skills USA. If you don’t have any of these in your high school, ask your principal about starting a chapter!
- Invent 2 Innovate (i2i) Student Competition –business model competition with a high school and college track. Entry deadline is March 20, 2020. Event will be held at USD in Vermillion on April 17, 2020. Click here to view the flyer. Contact Marcie Sariol at (605) 658-6540 or Marcie.Sariol@usd.edu. Click here to view the flyer.
- 1 Million Cups – On Wednesday mornings, one or two early-stage businesses present their companies to their communities. Every event is free and everyone is welcome and invited to attend! Each founder presents for six minutes, followed by a 20-minute question-and-answer session with the audience. 1 Million Cups is held in Aberdeen, Brookings, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, and Yankton. http://www.1millioncups.com/
- Dakota State University – brand new business plan competition for high school students. Take a look at the flyer here.