The 9th annual BIG Idea Competition was a BIG success with 263 entries involving 414 high school students from 37 schools! The BIG Idea Committee would like to congratulate this year’s winners who received over $5,000 in cash and scholarships:
Hear from students about their experience with the
BIG Idea Competition
- Bent Perspective
Bent Perspective, an Origami store focusing on teaching the customers how to make origami artwork.Haley Ketteler of Pierre T.F. Riggs High School
- Caveman Custom Iron
Caveman Custom Iron, hand-crafted ironwork that could be used for home décor and tools.George Bernard and Mark Wesolick of St. Thomas More High School
- KP Photography
KP Photography which is a photography business that gives one fifth of their profits to charity.MaKayla Price of Wessington Springs High School
- The Cooler Backpack Company
- “The Cooler Backpack” is a backpack with a secondary insulated pocket for keeping your food and drinks chilly solving the epidemic of having to carry a separate sack for your lunch.
Cierra Veldhuizen, Jenny Rooks, & Olivia Facenda of St. Thomas More High School
- The Spink County Outdoorsmen
- A hunting supplies company that is located in Spink County.
Tony Baumann of Redfield High School
- All Seasons Lighting
- All Seasons Lighting will take the hassle out of changing the lighting. No longer will you have to have ten different lightbulb colors for your desired occasion.
Brianna McGinnis, Maria Wilson, and Sophie Wittenberg of St. Thomas More High School
- Gerry’s Pumpkins & Produce
- Gerry’s Pumpkins & Produce is a family owned business in eastern South Dakota that sells pumpkins and produce.
Eli Gerry of Madison Central High School
- SoDak Custom Hay Co.
- SoDak Custom Hay Co. is a business that produces hay for livestock owners. This company will specialize in the production of brome and alfalfa.
Dalton Larson, Jared Miller and Tyndall Petterson of West Central High School
BIG Idea 2015 Competition Awards Presentation:
Winner of the Marketing Design competition, sponsored by McQuillen Creative Group, was:
- First Place:
- The Calving Book App
Ellen Schlechter of Faulkton High School
Thank you to our 2015 Speakers!
A Special Thanks to the teachers who encouraged their students’ participation.
Thanks to the committee members and community leaders who participated as judges, panelists and supporters.
Next year’s competition will open again on September 1, 2016.