The 7th annual BIG Idea Competition was a BIG success with 225 entries involving nearly 300 high school students from 31 schools! The BIG Idea Committee and Absolutely!Aberdeen would like to congratulate this year’s winners who received over $5,000 in cash and scholarships:
Hear from students about their experience with the
BIG Idea Competition
- Enchanted Evening
Enchanted Evening is a formal, prom, or special occasion dress consignment website providing “like new” dresses to buyers through an on-line store that will sell for a fraction of the cost.Kjerstin Williams of Brandon Valley High School
- Doggie Spaw
Doggie Spaw is a resort like facility providing boarding, behavioral training, grooming, and specialty products for dogs where owners can be assured that their dogs are getting the very best attention.Allison Weber of Groton High School
Krutchers will change crutches from a necessity to an accessory by providing decorative accessories for crutches.Kirsten Van Dam of Rapid City Central High School
- Just Imagine! Educational Toys
- Just Imagine! Educational Toys will be an expansion of the South Dakota Discover Center, providing quality educational toys, books and science related products.
Samuel Ryckman of Ryckman’s Homeschool, Pierre
- Mendel’s Spray Foam Insulation
- My big idea involves creating a spray foam business, an alternative insulation solution which is quick, efficient, and cost effective.
Jason Mendel of Doland High School
- Hoffman Trucking
- Hoffman Trucking is a family run business which hauls everything from livestock to equipment with fast, friendly service.
April Hoffman of Leola High School
- Picture This
- Our business idea is “Picture This”, a photo copying system, in which we will transfer customer’s photos onto a DVD, with options of special effects and musical backgrounds.
Karrie Stickler and Alex Remily of Doland High School
- Start Me Up
- Start Me Up is a program to help teach people about computers particularly older groups who are inexperienced with computers and children who would like to start to understand computers.
Zach De Groot of Tri-Valley High School
BIG Idea 2013 Competition Awards Presentation:
Winner of the Marketing Design competition, sponsored by McQuillen Creative Group, was:
- First Place:
- The Basset
Miranda Panzer and Jennie Palmer of Pierre T.F. Riggs High School
Thank you to our 2013 Speakers!
A Special Thanks to the teachers who encouraged their students’ participation.
Thanks to the committee members and community leaders who participated as judges, panelists and supporters.
Next year’s competition will open again on September 1, 2014.