What is the BIG Idea Competition?
To promote entrepreneurship, spur creative thinking, and encourage students to start a business.
- A business idea competition for high school students
- A 1,075-word description of a business idea
- An optional Marketing Design competition which includes an ad for their idea
- An opportunity to learn about business concepts and entrepreneurship
- A chance to win cash and scholarships
This website will provide:
- a link to the online entry form
- the full rules for the competition
- resources to assist you with your idea development
- information about past winners and their ideas, and
- a listing of other entrepreneurship events you can participate in
This competition, launched in 2007, was created through the collaborative efforts of many organizations in South Dakota. This competition is about exposing youth to new ideas and innovation in the hopes that you will view entrepreneurship as an option for your future. Rather than leaving the region to look for a job, you can have the confidence to create your own opportunities close to home and know that there is support for you should you choose to do so. Homegrown businesses are key to the success of our rural communities.
Completed online business ideas are due by October 31, 2017. Students who are selected as finalists will be invited to present their ideas to entrepreneurs and the awards ceremony will take place that same day. The final competition will be Thursday, December 7, 2017.
What is in it for Students?
- Learn about business development and planning
- Meet with other students and future business mentors
- Be a part of the cutting edge – young future entrepreneurs
- Be recognized for your business smarts
- Attend a wrap-up event with other participants
- Win great prizes
What is in it for Teachers and Schools?
- Specially developed resources to enhance entrepreneurship or business studies
- Recognition for your school team’s efforts
- A networking and learning opportunity for like-minded educational professionals
- A chance to help area youth explore their options!